“the most knowledgeable, experienced attorney
in the energy sector with an excellent sense of business”
Renelle Joffe is a “tenacious and knowledgeable advocate” who is regarded as a “leader in her field.”
One client described her as “the best energy lawyer in Israel,” due to her “experience and knowledge of the regulation and market practices.”
She is involved in some of the most complex and high-value oil and gas work, including multibillion-dollar gas purchases and large refinery projects, as well as various regulatory matters.
Chambers and Partners
“… is recognised for her experience in the gas sector. Clients praise her attention to detail and her ability to set a correct strategy and quickly resolve problems.”
Chambers and Partners
“superb for energy transactions and commercial agreements…..”
“Renelle Joffe is an expert in energy transactions, bringing to bear strong legal knowledge and advice in an appropriate commercial context”
Renelle Joffe specializes in Energy Law and heads the firm’s Energy Group. Her expertise includes upstream regulation and transactions, purchase of fuels, transboundary energy transactions, energy infrastructure projects, including natural gas transmission and distribution, renewable and energy-related government tenders.
Renelle has an in depth understanding of the energy industry in Israel and extensive experience in negotiating international energy deals.
Renelle is an expert on the regulatory framework in the energy sector in Israel and specifically on regulation applicable to natural gas and oil exploration, independent power producer projects and renewable energy.
Renelle is co-Chairperson of the Energy and Infrastructure Committee of the Israeli Bar Association, formed at Renelle’s initiative, in light of the increasing legal work in this sector.
Renelle is ranked as a “Leading Lawyer” for Israel’s Project & Energy practice by the Legal 500 and ranked in Band 1 of Projects and Energy: Oil & Gas for Israel in Chambers Global.
Renelle is a member of the AIPN, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
Upstream oil and gas:
- Ongoing regulatory advice, including upstream regulation, antitrust and tax to Energean Group.
- Representation of Energean in the gas sales and purchase agreements between Energean Israel Limited and gas buyers. In the past year 12 GSPAs were signed, predominantly with the Israel Corporation Group, including the Oil Refineries, Dead Sea works and OPC, Dalia Energies Ltd.
- Representation of Energean in a secured Senior Credit Facility of up to US$1.275 billion from leading investment banks – Morgan Stanley, Natixis, Bank Hapoalim and Societe Generale as Mandated Lead Arrangers.
- Representation of Energean in an initial public offering in London Stock Exchange, together with White&Case, in which the company raised approximately $ 460,000,000.
- Representation of Energean in petitions filed with the High Court of Justice by environmental groups. Both petitions were recently dismissed.
- Ongoing representation of several international contractors working on exploration and development offshore Israel, including advice on applicable legal regime, on regulatory, corporate, tax, labor and immigration aspects.
- Representation in transboundary and local purchase of Tamar and Leviathan gas.
- Regulatory and other advice and support for transactions for export of Israeli gas to East Mediterranean countries.
- Ongoing representation of offshore petroleum license holders in their exploration activities: in connection with regulatory matters and agreements.
- Ongoing representation of license holders offshore Israel in all matters with respect to the Petroleum Commissioner and the Ministry of Energy, including extension of licenses, work program, unitization issues between Israel and Cyprus, etc.
- Gas transportation agreements and transmission regulation.
- We advised Dalia Power Energies, the leading potential Independent Power Producer, in its gas purchase from the “Tamar” field (the first GSA signed with Tamar) and ongoing representation of Dalia Power Energies in connection with regulatory approvals of the GSAs, including the Anti-Trust Commissioner.
- Ongoing representation of additional conventional and cogeneration power stations, in their gas purchase from the “Tamar” field and ongoing regulatory advice.
- Ongoing representation of Super Natural Gas, one of the newly formed gas marketing companies in its gas purchase from Tamar and marketing activities.
- Representation of IEC in its 5 BCM purchase of natural gas from the depleted Mari B field.
- Advising the Israel Electric Corporation (IEC) on its agreement for purchase of natural gas from Egypt (while serving as Legal Advisor for Natural Gas and Fuels of IEC).
- Advising the Israel Electric Corporation on agreement for purchase of natural gas from the Noble-Delek consortium offshore Israel (while serving as Legal Advisor for Natural Gas and Fuels of IEC).
Downstream oil and gas:
- Representation of Super N.G. Distribution Company, one of the two existing natural gas distribution companies, in providing all requisite legal services connected to construction and operation of the gas distribution network in the Central Area of Israel.
- Representation of gas shippers in negotiating gas transportation arrangements with the local natural gas transportation monopoly, including the Oil Refineries.
Electricity and EPC related work:
- Advising companies on purchase of electricity from Independent Power Producers.
- Advising IPPs on their Power Purchase Agreement with IEC/system manager.
- Advising clients on cogeneration stations.
- Representation of an international consortium in the provision of EPC services for an IPP station.
- Advising one of the major European wind companies in a possible venture in Israel.
- Advising one of the leading importers of PV panels into Israel.
- Advising companies regarding renewable energy regulation.
- Representation of leading international renewable energy companies, in renewable energy ventures and projects in Israel.
- Representation of several Israeli entrepreneurs in potential energy projects in renewable energy in Israel and outside of Israel.
Natural gas related tenders:
- Representation of an international consortium in the LNG tender process, which is a BOT tender for the financing, construction and operation of an offshore LNG terminal.
- Representation of one of Israel’s leading fuel companies in the recently published gas distribution tender for the Southern region of Israel.
- Advising participants in energy related governmental tenders, including the Electra-Elco group in the natural gas distribution tender for the Negev area.