Michael Haberman is a partner in the firm’s Technology and Intellectual Property Group and has over 20 years’ experience in the field. He counsels and represents clients in a broad range of domestic and international commercial transactions in the areas of software and patent licensing, contract manufacturing, copyright, privacy, Internet, e-commerce, semiconductor, information technology services, life sciences, and trademark law. Michael works closely with clients in structuring and negotiating contracts that seek to exploit, monetize and protect intellectual property and/or to acquire intellectual property rights from third parties.
In his technology licensing practice, Michael regularly counsels software and hardware companies in structuring and negotiating standard and non-standard licensing and business models, including software-as-a-service (SaaS), open source, and subscription models. Clients with hardware products often seek Michael’s assistance in drafting and negotiating contract manufacturing agreements, arrangements with distributors, resellers, and OEM partners, end customer agreements and associated service level agreements (SLAs), support and maintenance, design, integration, and manufacturing services agreements. In addition, a large segment of Michael’s practice includes providing advice on privacy law compliance issues.
Prior to joining Meitar in 1996, Michael specialized in commercial law for 7 years in Washington, DC, as an associate attorney in two specialty real estate law firms, Pohoryles & Greenstein, PC and Kass & Skalet, PLLC. In addition, Michael served as a law clerk in 1985-86 to Justice Aharon Barak of the Supreme Court of Israel.
- Represented Stratasys Ltd. in the negotiation of a Manufacturing Services Agreement with Jabil Circuit, Inc., in connection with the outsourcing of the manufacture of 3D printers.
- Represented Amdocs in its negotiation of a Transition Services Agreement with Comverse in connection with Amdocs’ acquisition of a substantial majority of Comverse’s BSS assets for approximately $272 million.
- Ongoing representation of a company providing manufacturing intelligence (big data) solutions for the semiconductor and electronics industry in its commercial licensing and SaaS deals worldwide.
- Outside counsel to a digital market intelligence company in its SaaS-based deals with customers, including HP, Nike, Mellon Bank, and responding to an RFP from the Government of Singapore.
- Represented various clients in the purchase and sale of websites and associated intellectual property issues.
- Represented the developer of an open source e-commerce platform in the negotiation of a complex global integration and cooperation agreement with Paypal for the integration of the payment processor into the Magento platform, including co-marketing and product development collaboration.
- Represented a developer of business transaction management software in the negotiation of a complex cross-border software license, maintenance and services agreement with a large telecommunications company.
- Represented a developer and manufacturer of solutions for ad-hoc wireless mobile networking in the negotiation of a long term strategic teaming and license agreement with a leading European defense communications company for the license, support and development of the client’s broadband wireless networks solution.
- Represented a molecular diagnostics company in the negotiation of an agreement for the design, build-out and operation of a CLIA-certified clinical laboratory in the United States.
- Represented a provider of application infrastructure/scalability solutions, in the license and support of its flagship software product, and associated professional services.
- Represented a fabless semiconductor company in the negotiation of a Software License Agreement with a multinational networking and communications technology and services corporation, involving complex third party proprietary and open source licensing issues.
- Ongoing representation of a leading innovator of application service automation software for deploying and managing applications across the data center, in its negotiations with OEM, resellers, other channel partners and customers.