Dr. Michael Bricker is a partner in the firm’s Taxation and Corporate/Securities groups. Michael has unique global and executive business experience, having been in senior executive legal and tax roles for the last two decades at public and private companies and having worked out of Tel Aviv, New York, Munich, Frankfurt, and London. Michael has vast experience in developing legal and tax strategies, domestic and international, and has structured numerous corporate, financing, M&A and commercial transactions involving many different jurisdictions. Michael has unique expertise in transfer pricing, an area in which he completed his doctoral thesis, and international tax and he represents multinationals in tax controversies at court and in administrative proceedings with the Israeli tax authority.
Prior to joining Meitar, Michael was the General Counsel and member of the executive board at a London-based privately-owned principal investment company and the General Counsel and Head of Tax and member of the executive management at Amdocs (Nasdaq: DOX). From 2011 to 2017, Michael was an independent director on the board of Israel Corporation (TASE: ILCO), Israel’s largest publicly-traded holding company, serving on the compensation and audit committees, chairing the independent board committee overseeing the restructuring of the company into two holding companies, and serving as a member of the independent board committee overseeing the debt restructuring of its shipping subsidiary Zim. Michael also served on the board of directors of Welltec, a Denmark-based privately-held multinational company, from 2015 to 2019.
Michael has also served as an adjunct professor at the law faculty at the University of Tel Aviv, teaching classes in tax and corporate law, and has published articles in the areas of international tax and transfer pricing that have been cited in court decisions and the tax literature.
Selected additional publications
- “Taxation of Contingent Consideration in a Taxable Transaction” Taxes (Heb. 2020) (with O. Lazimi)
- “Charge Back Agreements for Equity-Based Compensation” Taxes (Heb. 2020) (with M. Hakak)
- “The Control Premium in Transfer Pricing – Adjustments to the APM” Taxes (Heb. 2019).
- “Cash Management in a Cash Pooling Arrangement – Classification of Income and Transfer Pricing Aspects” Taxes (Heb. 2019) (with V. Terner).
- “Classification of Foreign Entities Under Israeli Tax Law” Taxes (Heb. 2004) (with Dr. D. Herman and D. Levy).
- “The Adjusted Basis of an Asset Transferred into the Israeli Tax Jurisdiction in a Tax Free Transaction” Taxes (Heb. 2003) (with A. Kaufman).
- IFA Report on “Tax Treatment on Transfer of Residence by Individuals” – Israeli Country Report (with S. Shacham, 2002).
- “The Mutual Agreement Procedure and the Arbitration Clause in Tax Treaties: Taxes (Heb. 2001) (with D. Levy).
- “Chapter 6: Transfer Pricing” in German Tax Guide (Amann, 2001).
- “Israel Publishes a Tax Reform Proposal” Tax Notes International (19 June 2000) (with D. Levy).
- “The Euro and Israel – Tax Aspects” Taxes (Heb. 1998) (with Prof. Y. Margalioth).
- “Arbitration Procedures in Tax Treaties” International Tax Review (March 1998).