“. . . the “awesome” Yoav Oestreicher . . .
is a thorough, efficient, authoritative and creative attorney
who strives for perfection and never misses a thing…”
“Yoav Oestreicher is Silicon Valley’s first choice in Israel for patent litigation. The Meitar Liquornik Geva Leshem Tal Law Offices man has many admirers in the big leagues . . .”
IAM Patent 1000
“. . . the “awesome” Yoav Oestreicher . . . is a thorough, efficient, authoritative and creative attorney who strives for perfection and never misses a thing. He provides true leadership to his team and is an excellent cross-examiner able to win the attention of judges in a most impressive manner.”
“Yoav Oestreicher is a business savvy aggressive litigator”.
“esteemed litigator who leads the firm’s IP litigation practice. He has handled a range of disputes involving patent and trade mark infringements and trade secret misappropriation”.
Chambers and Partners
“Litigator Yoav Oestreicher is ‘knowledgeable and thorough’”
Dr. Yoav Oestreicher is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property, Technology and Privacy Litigation practice.
Yoav has substantial experience in intellectual property technology and privacy litigation and arbitration and has been consistently recommended for many years as a leading litigator by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500, WTR 1000, IAM Patent 1000, BDI and Dun & Bradstreet.
Yoav’s practice focuses on representing international and Israeli clients in court cases and arbitration proceedings relating to intellectual property rights (including patents, trademarks, copyrights, designs, plant breeders’ rights and trade secrets) in various courts and jurisdictions in Israel and the United States, as well as in opposition and cancellation proceedings at the Israeli Patent and Trademark Office. Yoav has handled cases in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, bio-technology, communications, engineering, internet and the protection of brands and goodwill.
Yoav also represents multi-national companies in class action litigation in Israel focusing on the technological, privacy, and cyber-security aspects of the service, including class actions relating to breach of privacy, use of location services and biometric data, hacks and data breaches, commercialization of personal data, minors’ consent, deletion and renewal of applications and “fake news”.
Prior to returning to Israel, Yoav worked at Pryor Cashman Sherman & Flynn LLP in New York and Robinson Bradshaw & Hinson P.A. in Charlotte, North Carolina.
In addition to his position at the firm, Yoav taught courses and seminars in intellectual property law for many years at Tel-Aviv University’s Coller School of Management and the Schools of Law at Bar-Ilan and Haifa Universities. Yoav was also invited to present lectures to active judges at the Institute of Advanced Judicial Studies at the Supreme Court of Israel, as well as other forums.
Yoav was a member of the Intellectual Property Legislation Committee of the Israel Bar and was asked to represent its interests at various hearings at the Israeli Parliament (Knesset).
Yoav is a member of INTA, American Bar Association, New York State Bar Association and North Carolina Bar Association.
- Representing Verint – a leading cyber-security company – in a patent infringement claim relating to ciphertext only attacks on GSM cellular networks.
- Representing a leading social media platform in a class action relating to an alleged breach of privacy of users following a cyber-security attack.
- Representing a leading smartphones manufacturer in a class action regarding auto-renewals of app subscriptions.
- Representing a leading multi-national e-commerce service provider in a trademark and copyright infringement claim.
- Representing a leading business and professional oriented social media service provider in a class action regarding an alleged unauthorized act of sending invitations and spam messages.
- Representing CYLUS – an Israeli cyber-security company – in opposition proceedings against the BlackBerry corporation regarding the registration of the trademark in Israel.
- Representing a leading photo and video sharing social networking service in a class action relating to an alleged breach of privacy of minors.
- Representing a leading video-conferencing service provider in a class action regarding an alleged breach of privacy.
- Represented Mifal Hapayis (the Israeli lottery) in a patent infringement claim relating to an alleged infringement of a patent entitled “Advertising Method with Use of Multi-Screen Computer Monitor Units”.
- Represented the Ashley Madison website in a class action relating to a hack to the systems, which led to an alleged breach of privacy to its users.
- Represented a leading instant messaging company in a class action relating to termination of accounts due to violations of terms of service.
- Represented a leading social media platform in trademark infringement proceedings.
- Represented the three leading Israeli cellular carriers – Partner, Cellcom and Pelephone – in a legal action relating to alleged patent infringement of mobile devices.
- Represented ZAP Computing Ltd. in a patent infringement action and a motion for a preliminary injunction relating to a method for on-line comparison of shopping carts, leading to the successful dismissal of the case.
- Represented three leading technology companies in separate proceedings at the Compensation and Royalties Committee established under the Patents Law for the award of compensation for service inventions.
- Represented Darban Investments and other members of the Fishman Group in a trademark infringement case and a motion for a preliminary injunction regarding the use of the ONE DESIGN CENTER trademark, leading to the successful dismissal of the case.
- Represented ZAP Computing Ltd. in a legal action for trademark infringement and passing off in connection with the well-known mark “Dapei Zahav” leading to the cessation of all infringing activities.
- Represented the three largest Israeli cellular carriers – Partner, Cellcom and Pelephone – in NIS 100 million class action lawsuits relating to the memory capacity of cellular devices sold to customers, leading to the successful withdrawal of these actions.
- Represented of one of the world’s largest cellular device wholesale traders, leading to the issuance of a preliminary injunction protecting its trade secrets.
- Represented Bristol-Myers Squibb in the defense of arbitration proceedings in Switzerland with its Israeli distributor and in connection with the registration of its medical preparations with the Israeli Ministry of Health, leading to the settlement of the arbitration.
- Represented SanDisk in the defense of a motion to certify a class action relating to media players, leading to the dismissal of the action.
- Represented the Israeli cellular operators Partner and Cellcom in opposing motions to certify class actions related to the battery life of cellular devices.
- Represented Lumenis Ltd. in a NIS 200 million legal action against former senior employees related to misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Represented Hypertoy in a legal action and a motion for preliminary injunction relating to infringement of the trademark “TOY PLANET”, leading to the cessation of all infringing activities.
Selected additional publications
- Oestreicher, Y., “We’re on a Road to Nowhere” – Reasons for the Continuing Failure to Regulate Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments, 42 The Intl. Lawyer 59 (2008).
- Oestreicher, Y., The Rise and Fall of the “Mixed” and “Double” Convention Models regarding Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments, 6 Wash. U. Global Stud. L. Rev. 339 (2007).
- Kenneth D. Crews & Jacque Ramos, Comparative Analysis of World Copyright Law: Issues for University Scholarship, Copyright Management Center, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, 2006 (responsible for the Chapter on Israel Copyright Law).
- Oestreicher, Y., Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Intellectual Property Judgments: Analysis and Guidelines for a New International Convention (Dissertation, North Carolina, 2004) (Also available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=939093).
- Listed on SSRN’s Top Ten download list for “PIT: Intellectual Property (Topic)”.
- Listed on SSRN’s Top Ten download list for “PIL: Treaties & Other Sources of International Law (Topic)”.