Alon Gellert is a partner in the firm’s Regulation Group and in the firm’s Corporate and Securities Group.
Alon advises a large number of corporations (both public and private), local authorities, leading organizations and commercial bodies and represents clients in tenders and infrastructure law matters. Alon has wide expertise in commercial transactions, corporate law and litigation and has represented clients in many of the largest and most publicized legal disputes in the country to date.
Alon has represented a number of government ministers and members of Knesset in petitions to the Supreme Court and has been involved in coalition negotiations.
Alon served previously as the legal adviser to the Office of the Prime Minister of Israel, advising Prime Ministers Ehud Barak and Ariel Sharon on a wide range of public and constitutional law issues. During 2002-2003, Alon assembled the legal team focused on the criminal claim pending against Prime Minister Sharon in Belgium.
Also, during 2001-2010, Alon served as chairman of the Advisory Committee of the Government Companies Authority Council for Presidents and Prime Ministers.
Alon is a Colonel (res.) in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and served as the IDF Home Front Commander (res.) for the Tel Aviv sub-district. Alon currently serves as a reserve member in the Home Front Command Public Guidance and Information Team.
- Legal Counsel of various boards of directors, including the boards of Mifal Hapayis, the Israeli Professional Football Leagues and more.
- Representation of JNF (Kakal) in a petition filed with the High Court of Justice that was rejected; to cancel the appointment of six JNF representatives to the Israel Lands Council, as well as in other petitions before the High Court of Justice and administrative petitions.
- Representing the Mideast Forum in relation to an amendment of the Communications Law.
- Representing users of Herzliya Airport in a petition to the High Court of Justice which prevented the closing of the airport and allowed its continued operation.
- Representation of Eilat Municipality in opposing the planned closure of Sde Dov Airport.
- Representation of Eilat Municipality in a petition to the High Court of Justice against the Ministry of Agriculture regarding a demand to uproot palm trees in the city.
- Representation of the Kibbutz Movement in a petition filed by the Association for Distributive Justice.
- Representing Ezra & Bitzaron in dozens of tenders, inter alia for the construction of public buildings, including the municipality building in the Sumail compound in Tel Aviv, schools, kindergartens and more.
- Representation of Dan Public Transportation Co. in negotiations with the government on subsidy agreements.
- Representing the “Ogen” faction in the Histradrut and the chairman of the Histadrut in the coalition negotiations for the establishment of the “Oganim” parent faction and later in petitions regarding the election for chairman of the Histadrut.
- Representing an international Group in a construction tender to build an airport in Timna (near Eilat).
- Representing M+W Projects in EPC and O&M agreements for the establishment of power plants in Israel.
- Representation of a multinational company in a tender to build sea ports in Haifa and Ashdod.
- As legal adviser in the Prime Minister’s office, Alon was appointed member of the Reform Committee of the Broadcasting Authority. Within this framework he prepared, together with the Deputy Attorney General, Davida Lachman-Messer, a bill for wide-ranging reform in the Broadcasting Authority.
- Representation of bidders in an international tender of the Ministry of Finance relating to the “Wisconsin Program” to encourage re-entry of welfare recipients into the workforce.
- Representation of Member of Knesset (MK) Limor Livnat in a petition to the High Court of Justice against the Prime Minister and the Chairman of the Knesset regarding parliamentary questions. Following the claim, procedures were set that oblige the government to respond to parliamentary questions within a short time, by which it operates to this day.
- Representation of a leading Israeli software integrator in a share purchase transaction opposite IBM Global Services.
- Representation of many public corporations and public figures regarding State Comptroller audits.
Selected additional publications
- Alon is co-author of the Israeli chapter of the International Comparative Legal Guide to Public Procurement (2009). This article appeared in the 1st edition of The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Public Procurement; published by Global Legal Group Ltd, London. www.iclg.co.uk
- Alon is the author of the article “Is there a Duty to Obey Government Decisions by Government Corporations?” (2006). Published by “Taagidim” Volume B(6).
- Alon is the author of the article “Allegiance: the Fiduciary Duties of a Municipal Corporation Director” (2006). Published by “Taagidim” Volume H(2).