Dr. Issar Birger is a trial lawyer and a partner in the firm’s Litigation Group. He represents international and domestic clients in a wide range of high-stakes commercial disputes, with an emphasis on complex corporate, securities, banking, product liability and constitutional litigation. Issar regularly appears before courts of all instances, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
Prior to rejoining Meitar, Issar was an associate at the New York Office of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP, where he was part of a team handling major financial disputes before federal and state courts. From 2005 to 2006, Issar served as law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Israel, the Honorable Prof. Aharon Barak.
Issar is an expert in the field of law and economics. He is a recipient of the Israeli Parliament National Award for Academic Excellence, the Wolf Foundation Prize for Academic Distinction, the E. David Fischman Merit Scholarship and the Tel Aviv University Rector’s Citation (1st of 1,400 law students), and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Tel Aviv University Law Review.
- Defended Mylan N.V. in litigation pertaining to its $30 billion unsolicited tender offer to acquire all of the issued share capital of Perrigo Company Plc.
- Represented the Federal Housing Finance Agency in its landmark litigation before New York and Connecticut federal courts regarding private label residential mortgage-backed securities issued by several major investment banks and purchased by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- Acted as court appointed trustee and liquidator for Lehman Brothers (Israel) Ltd.
- Represented Israeli members of parliament and former IDF senior commanders in freedom of speech constitutional litigation before the Supreme Court of Israel.
- Represented Israeli members of parliament in election law litigation before the Supreme Court of Israel and other judicial instances.
- Defended Merck & Co. in actions concerning the drug Vioxx, including three class-actions filed in this matter.
- Defended GlaxoSmithKline in a class-action concerning the drug Avandia.
- Defended Eli Lilly & Co. in a class-action concerning the drug Zyprexa.
- Represented directors of one of Israel’s largest banks in a derivative action alleging that the directors breached their duty of care.
- Represented investors in a dispute concerning deep-water oil and gas licenses.
- Represented family members in a multi-million dollar inheritance dispute.
- Represented the Republic of Bulgaria before the Supreme Court of Israel in an appeal relating to international arbitration proceedings.